Saturday, March 9, 2013

Rave: LUSH Hair Care

I wanted to talk a bit about hair, I know I've concentrated mostly on makeup and I'm no expert on hair but I had to write a lil something.
Since I was 14 I've been abusing my hair with all sorts of styles, dyes, bleaches and products that over time really weakened it without me realizing. I thought my hair was close to invincible until about a year and a half ago when it finally reached its breaking point (literally). I decided I wanted more of a curl in my hair since its naturally sort of wavy but doesn't have much of an actual shape. So, like an idiot I went into a salon I didn't know, which out doing any research and asked for a loose perm... Worst idea ever. Like I said, I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure of any stylist who gave a fuck about anything other than money looked at the condition of my hair they would have turned me away. Instead I got my hair FRIED! It was like mush! I didn't even get a curl, as soon as I washed it after a few days it just turned into dead frizz and breakage... It was like I had Gene Simmons hair. Every time I washed it, it would break and come out in clumps, I was so upset I considered shaving my head and starting over!
I tried a ton of "healthy" deep conditioners, from oil and fat based products designed for ethnic hair to Wen, nothing worked well enough to get my hair back to what it was. The worst part is I was desperately trying to grow it pit long at the time and it kept breaking!!
So, I worked (briefly at LUSH) and wasn't too sure on the products at first, I'd used a few things for skincare and was impressed but had never tried their hair products. I found New!, a shampoo bar that stimulates the scalp with cinnamon to promote growth, Jungle; a conditioner bar that I honestly only bought at first because it smells like avocados and bananas but turned out to be a staple in my hair care routine AND R&B; a leave in condition that SAVED my hair.

New! Shampoo bar:
Pros-
Stimulates scalp so hair grows a little faster
Packaging free
Bang for your $- get close to 60 washes out of that little red cake.
Smells like red hots
Solid, small and light- good for travel
Cons-
Slightly drying- need a good conditioner
Have to keep it in a dry place after use or it will melt a little.

Jungle Solid Conditioner:
Pros-
No packaging (environmentally friendly)
Also good for travel
Lasts FOREVER
Smells so good I want to eat it
A little bit goes a looong way
Light and doesn't weigh down my hair or leave my scalp oily
Cons-
Can melt in heat
I have to use it in combo with a leave in because I find it doesn't penetrate the ends of my hair enough

R&B:
Pros-
Smells SOOOO good
Leaves my hair shiny, soft and detangled
My hair was noticeably stronger
It's like if you're hair got into body building and got totally jacked.
Cons-
Be careful not to get this stuff in your roots as it can make your scalp oily really easily, I'm even careful just brushing it thorough my hair.

A big part of why these products work so well is because they're mostly natural and don't coat your hair with synthetics like silicone which over time damages your hair. They have a huge selection for all different kinds of hair and I'd suggest everyone and anyone go talk to one of the super friendly floor staff to help find something that's great for you. These threes products I discussed were just the products I found to be most beneficial to my situation, but they have something for everyone! Plus they look and smell so great!!!
New!

R&B

Jungle
-CW

No comments:

Post a Comment